Frequently Asked Questions

The Housing Authority of Richmond’s main office is located at 402 Smith Village Richmond, KY 40475.

All adults (age 18 and up) will need to bring:   

  1. A current drivers’ license or ID.
  2. Social security cards for all household members.
  3. If there will be minors in the household you must bring birth certificates, social security cards and any legal custody papers.
  4. You will need to provide the name, address, telephone number of your current landlord; if you have been with the landlord less than two years, bring previous landlord information.
  5. Three professional references.
  6. If employed, bring your last four pay stubs.
  7. Information on any investments and assets held by household members.

The most important identifier is income. For most housing programs, the general qualification requires that the household makes less than 50% of the area median income (AMI) of that area to qualify.

There are significant qualifiers such as housing, criminal history, past evictions and owing money to a housing authority may make it difficult to qualify. Having a criminal record may make it difficult for a person to receive housing. But it does not automatically disqualify them. Generally, offices are more lenient to persons with an arrest record, but persons with a conviction may find greater difficulty in qualifying, especially if it was a violence or drug related sentence. Each housing office operates differently, but may allow persons with a criminal record to qualify based on the length of the time since the offense occurred, and the severity of the crime. Sex offenders will not qualify for affordable housing.

Even if you are placed on a waiting list, it will not guarantee that you qualify for housing. Many housing offices do not determine eligibility until your name nears the top of the waiting list.

Many factors will be reviewed to determine your eligibility for the housing program.

The application starts with the personal declaration for application.

A personal interview appointment is set up to identify your housing needs and answer any questions you may have.

Once the interview has been conducted and all information has been provided the housing authority will request your rental history from your current landlord and former landlords, and a criminal history report.

Character references are also checked.

Household income will be verified.

Once all the information has been received eligibility can be made.

Your rent, which is referred to as the total tenant payment (TTP) in this program, would be based on your family’s anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. HUD regulations allow housing authorities to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480.00 for each dependent; $400.00 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities. Based on your application, the housing authority representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older.

Public housing residents MAY NOT smoke inside their units; As of July 31st 2018 or within 25 feet of a Housing Authority building.

Yes we allow one pet per household. Must be under thirty pounds and up to date on vaccinations.

A $200.00 pet deposit is due prior to bringing pet on property. Plus a $10.00 monthly pet fee will be charged.

If pet is a certified service animal you must bring documentation.

No, we are public housing, section 8 is a voucher program.

Public housing provides decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-to moderate-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.

Section 8 the housing choice voucher program gives eligible families the opportunity to rent from a private landlord. The participant’s rental amount is calculated based upon anticipated gross household income.

Unfortunately, we do not have any emergency housing in Madison County. You must go through the application process and be approved for housing.  You may inquire with Hope’s Wings, Salvation Army or see contact information on our additional resources page.

Yes, unless you certify that;

  1. You are age 62 or over.
  2. Blind or disabled.
  3. The primary caretaker of a blind or disabled person living in the household.
  4. You are a participant of the state welfare program (TANF/KTAPP/SNAP/ (food stamps) and in compliance with regulations governing this program.
  5. Employed on a regular basis of more than ten hours weekly.
  6. Attending educational classes established by the Madison County board of education any of our community colleges or universities.
  7. if you do not fall into an exemption category understand that you will be required to perform eight (8) hours of community service each month for the duration of your lease agreement or until such time that you would become exempt.

Don’t see an answer to a question you have?

Call us or fill out our online form to get in touch with us.